Busy day today so I’ll keep this short. The hour of development for today turned out be more like an hour and twenty minutes. Definitely made some progress! The level now scrolls vertically and you can only switch direction once while in the air. Also learned some valuable lessons on how the engine works.
After the update yesterday I got some clarity on the mechanics of the game (after screwing around for the first hour). With this revelation I also got the idea to try something drastic and new, the Defold game engine (http://www.defold.com/). I’ve heard people talking about it for a while and as I got into the beta the other week, I thought why not. I’ve been using Unity for 3 years and I’m very comfortable with it, it’s about time I try something new! Today’s experience has mostly been me trying to figure how stuff works and trying to get a grasp of the basics. Also been trying to get used to the Lua syntax, which is more of a challenge than one could imagine.
I was also inspired by my colleague Kenth (who’s also doing the challenge) to do a timelapse video. Took some time to set up but got it working eventually. It mostly consists of me fumbling around in the Defold editor, screwing up the Lua syntax (muscle memory semicolons…) and trying to figure out why stuff doesn’t work. I did however make some progress, doesn’t look like much at the moment but it’s something (movement and basic collision!).
Mostly been using the getting started tutorials as reference so far. I’m probably heading into deeper waters tomorrow, stay tuned!
Decided to take the December Gamedev Challenge as outlined here. Starting a day late and I’m not quite sure what I’m doing. I’ve got an idea for something and I’m going to try to get a playable prototype out of it, but it’s quite uncertain how it will turn out at the moment. Here’s a gif of current progress after 1 hour of just playing around with stuff.